We have a God who leads His people and never abandons them. He leads them through many means, especially through His Word-the Bible. It’s through the Bible that He usually talks to His people, His children.
I’m ever thankful to the Father for a growing desire that He has placed in each of His children to know Him through His Word and to do what pleases Him. Phil 2:13 says
For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.
For days now, God has been teaching me about Proverbs 4:23-27. I want to share what He taught me here with the prayer that it could help you too.
23 Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life.
24 Avoid all perverse talk;
stay away from corrupt speech.
25 Look straight ahead,
and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
26 Mark out a straight path for your feet;
stay on the safe path.
27 Don’t get sidetracked;
keep your feet from following evil. (NLT)
- V23 is about guarding ones heart because it determines the course of ones life. A lot of people have not reached their full potential, their dream and their destiny because they’ve allowed their hearts to be distracted. Instead of being led by the spirit, they’re led by their emotions, wrong desires, wrong people, etc. LET US BE SPIRIT-LED.
- V24 is about not going for all perverse talk. Notice that it says all. This I believe includes complaining and speaking negative things like “I hate this job”, “I’m tired of my boss”, “I hate myself”, “I’ll never amount to anything”, “I would not make it”, “I’m such a loser” and the like. Always keep in mind that you are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139), you are a new creation in Christ (2 Cor 5:17) and that you can do all things through Christ Jesus (Phil 4:13). DON’T TALK YOUR WAY OFF YOUR DESTINY.
- V25 is about looking ahead and fixing your eyes on what lies before you. How can a man or woman look straight ahead if he or she is constantly looking back? Thus, this calls for forgetting what lies behind and straining forward… (Phil 3:13) …to remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old… (Is 43:18, ESV). We should never forget the lessons learned though. FIX YOUR EYES ON WHAT LIES AHEAD.
- V26 is about staying on the safe path. Do not compromise. Stay on what God says you should do and don’t be else where. Also, don’t decide without first going to God. CHOOSE A SAFE PATH.
- V27 is about being focused. This is related to verse 24. I would like to emphasize the value of vision. Without vision, people perish (Prov 29:18, KJV). You can only focus when you have something you can focus on. FOCUS ON THE VISION OR GOAL THAT GOD HAS PLACED IN YOUR HEART.